Sunday, February 5, 2012

Top Five: Tarte


This past summer, I had the opportunity to intern at Tarte Cosmetics, and worked as a freelance makeup artist for the line. Before this, I kept several Tarte products in my kit, but did not get to try the whole line. I’m so glad I had the chance to! Tarte is a fabulous, all-natural line available at Sephora and Ulta stores, as well as on QVC, in the U.S., and will soon be available in the U.K. Besides the amazing fact that the products are free of many of the harmful ingredients that show up in most cosmetics, the colors are incredibly pigmented and long-wearing, and are growing more and more popular with pro makeup artists. Without further ado, here are my top five favorite Tarte products:

You know what my least favorite question is? “If you were stranded on a desert island, what three makeup items would you bring?” Since I don’t really plan on trying out for Survivor anytime soon, I don’t think that I need to think about this, or even choose, because I just love too many products! Plus, if I was stranded on a desert island, I’m sure I wouldn’t need any makeup as I’d become quite beautiful with all of the coconut milk I’d be drinking and the omega-3’s from the fish I’d be catching. But IF I did really have to choose, I’d say Tarte’s Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Illuminating Serum would be in that top three. It is an absolute multitasker; I use it as foundation base, tinted moisturizer (I mix it with a foundation), highlighter, even body illuminator. But my favorite, top secret makeup artist trick for it? To add extra oomph to a smokey eye. After applying your eye makeup, simple apply a tiny amount with a domed concealer brush beneath the eye. It will catch any dark shadow fallout as well as give a clean, polished look and illuminate dark circles. I use this product every day, without fail. It doesn’t contain any chunky glitter, but instead imparts a soft, candlelit glimmer. Perfect.

2.     There are many days when I simply don’t feel like putting on makeup, but I need something to perk up my face. The solution to this age-old dilemma is Tarte’s LipSurgence Matte Lip Tint in Lively. The color is so unique; I’m a major fan of both YSL and MAC’s hot pinks and nothing in their lines come close. Deep, electric-but-not-neon pink that looks fabulous on every skintone, from ivory to the deepest chesnut. With a touch of mascara and concealer, you are out the door. Caution: don’t wear this color if you don’t want people asking what you are wearing.

3.     The next product is one that looks awful on me, but incredible on those with deep skintones: Tarte for True Blood Cheekstain. It’s a stunning, candy-apple red infused with gold shimmer that gives an amazing, glowing from within look. I’ve sold this miraculous product to women from age thirteen all the way up to eighty – it’s just that good. If you haven’t tried Tarte’s cheek stains yet, you must. Besides the addicting clean, lemongrass scent (which I keep begging the Tarte gals to make into a perfume or candle), the formula is unlike anything else – a smooth, almost-opaque gel that blends with fingertips or stippling brush and lasts for hours. While this cheek stain is no longer available in stores, you can still get it on the Tarte website – take the chance.

4.     If you read beauty blogs, I’m sure you’ve heard of Cle de Peau’s amazing concealer – and its hefty price tag. Yes, it is worth it, but if its just not in your price range, give Tarte’s Amazonian Clay Waterproof Concealer a try. The formula is wonderfully thick, to cover basically anything, from blemishes to undereye circles to hickeys, but doesn’t crease at all. It even covers dark spots or deeply pigmented rosacea. And at $22, it’s a total beauty steal!

5.     This last product such an on-set staple, I keep at least two in my makeup kit and one in my brush belt for instant touch ups – Tarte’s Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder. I guess I just can’t get enough of Amazonian Clay – but it really is a miracle ingredient! If you’ve tried Bare Minerals Mineral Veil or Makeup Forever HD Powder, this puts those to shame – it sets makeup without ever getting cakey, and keeps the oilies at bay for hours. If you’ve never tried a loose powder, consider one if your skin tends to shine several hours after foundation application. This powder also comes in a Bronze shade, so those with deeper skin tones, or anyone looking for a subtle (faux) tan, can get a flawless, poreless complexion as well. 

2 comments:

  1. really nice review
    I've never use these products but maybe I should think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to you! Finally I got some stuff in your blog post related. I was searching for some material related to matter included in post. Very useful and very informative. Thanks once again and do share some more posts if you have! Salons in Indore

    ReplyDelete